Welcome to my blog, the Gratutitous Gas Gun Geek. I originally started this blog to follow my attempts at building from scratch a WA M4, but it has since evolved into many other projects in the gas airsoft world. Watch me customize some airsoft replicas to look unique. I also do gas airsoft repairs and custom projects as well. Contact me for pricing and options!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Why you Magpul?! The Rules of My Build

As promised, post number 2 is how I thought this one through.  I knew that I wanted to have an end in mind and created a rule list.  Being an airsoft gun, it had to be unique.  Most others will agree with me.  This is where I have to start my rant.

It seems like everyone wants Magpul stuff.  Honestly, if it wasn't for one little product, we wouldn't even have the ACR today.  I think their story is fantastic, but many people see all of this cool shit and are instantly draw to it.  From XTM rail covers to fully trademarked receivers, these guys are everywhere.  That is not a bad thing.  I am glad real steel companies are making airsoft products for the huge market available, but once everyone starts doing it, then it isn't unique anymore.  So I started out my set of rules with this:

1.  NO MAGPUL ANYTHING.

Many of Magpul's products are interesting, but I see three products as useful and excellent in the Magpul line, but as stated in rule number 1 I will not be using them.  The first is the B.A.D. lever, which stands for Battery Assist Device.  This is a product that attaches to the bolt release on the left side of the receiver and allows the trigger finger to operate the catch instead of changing hand positions three times to get locked back for a function check or clearing a jam.  I've seen the results and videos and can say from handling a gun with one on it that is quite handy.  The second product is the ASAP sling mount, or Ambidextrous Sling Attachment Point.  This handy little piece has a ring trapped on a loop that is designed to allow a one point sling to switch from left to right side of the receiver, and not get your sling all tangled up.  Great piece of kit that while not completely necessary, still helps the weak side transition feel more natural.  The last product is the PMAG, a polymer magazine that has an enhanced follower to better feed rounds, a gentle curve to help feeding, and durability unmatched in anything I have seen before.  Nothing else really compares to it.  So ends my rant on Magpul.  Again, it is not that I do not like them.  I just feel they are overused in the airsoft world.  This is partly because Magpul has its own airsoft division, Magpul PTS, for making these products.  I am sick and tired of everyone having the same parts, so I chose a different manufacturer.  This leads me to rule number 2:

2. Use as many VLTOR parts as possible.

 VLTOR is not as large as Magpul, but they do make accessories for the AR15/M4 platform.  A few different stocks, rails, and even an upper receiver make VLTOR another common name to clone for airsoft parts.  These parts are tough to find, but that is the fun of building this thing.  No compromises will be made.  I plan on slapping as many VLTOR trademarked parts as I can.  Flash hiders, bolt carriers, receivers, gas blocks, you name it, I will find a part to match.  This company is not seen on many 'popular' builds, but I plan on using that to my advantage.  VLTOR does make a rail system, and some other furniture, so this is easy to get what I need.  Rules three and four also address another less common element I plan on using:

 3. No Flat Dark Earth or Tan colored parts.


4. Tastefully use as much Olive Drab as possible.


What does this mean?  Tan and FDE are more common colors in the parts bins of retailers.  Olive Drab does not sell as well, and I have found retailers run out of that color when I least expect it, but still carry FDE and Tan.  The OD colored parts I plan on using are:  VLTOR EMOD stock, Tango Down pistol grip, and the VLTOR CASV-M.  At this point, I do not know if I will be adding a vertical fore grip.  That would also be OD if I do decide on adding it.  I rarely see OD guns on the field, so it will be a change in the line up as far as I see it.


Next on my list are a few rules on durability and performance I want out of this gun:

5. Use as many steel G&P parts as possible.

In my mind, this means a certain level of consistency I want with the quality of my parts.  This also means that less modification and tuning might be needed to get to operating condition.  This is debatable, but I see G&P as a quality company and through my research, one of the best to get upgrades parts from.  These could eventually be replaced by other companies such as RA-Tech if wear is too high or not what I expected.

6. Only use Real Steel parts if the Airsoft Replica is not made or cannot be found.

I have seen many people convert real steel upper receivers to fit airsoft parts.  I would rather not deal with the legality or consequences that could surface with this gun.  So far, the only real steel part I would need is the delta ring assembly.  Everything else could be found for airsoft.

7. Tune rifle to be used as a longer range CQB gun and a mid range Field gun.

This is pretty much what I am building this gun for.  I wanted a gun I could run in both CQB and outdoor.  I am aware that companies make systems to adjust the FPS for any style of play, but I really did this rule for how I wanted the gun to look.  Yes, I am aware 6 in guns are used for hitting long ranges, and DMR's are used inside, but I wanted this to be a well rounded gun.  I normally run as a heavy assault rifleman, carrying lots of ammo and magazines.  I plan on slowly building up to 7 total magazines.  Most people carry that many in mid-caps, but I feel that since I get out quite a bit, and would have the chance to reload if need be.  That being said, I would plan on having two magazines taped together in my backpack as an 'Oh Shit, I need reload' back up.  The next rule is something that once again, goes with the looks of the rifle:

8. Do not use commonly found optics.

I see many people on the field with EOTech's, Aimpoint's, ACOG's, and even C-More's.  Finding myself thinking differently, I plan on using a micro-red dot for my optic of choice.  This way I do not have as much bulk on my rifle, making it streamline for CQB.  I have recently found my large EOTech to be a lot to manage on my ICS M16, so a simpler red dot with a smaller reticule will make it more precise, have a unique look to it, and function in the role.  I am still working out my BUIS.  The VLTOR CASV-M has a folding front sight that can be attached.  The red dot can be co-witnessed, but The CASV-M attaches to the flat top on an M4A1 style rifle, so I am not sure if the co-witness will work.  I also want to try and see if I can have the rear sight in front of the red dot, adding a unique taste to the overall look of the gun.  I play too much Killzone 3 and have fallen in love with the Helghast assault rifle, the StA-52, so that is where my inspiration has drawn from.

Now you know what I could have possibly been thinking when you look at the last post of the build.  It will be interesting to see where I was when I started this, and how true I stayed on this path.  Look out for a complete parts list in the next post.  As well as me updating it as I check things off the shopping list.  I expect this to take a few months of buying, a few days of building, and hopefully years of service.  Once again, thanks for tuning in.  Just for reading my lengthy and wordy posts, here is a picture of what the final outcome should look like (Thanks to pimp my gun).  The top one is a standard one I plan on using for CQB or standard field (E.I. no vehicles).  The bottom variation is a 'Heavy Assault' variant.  That would be used for more open CQB, MOUT, and fields with vehicles.

 When this is all said and done, if just one person benefits from watching and reading this blog (I do plan on doing videos to provide more detailed steps), my mission has been accomplished.  Hopefully in the next two weeks I can do the first package as it arrives with parts at my door.  I probably won't be doing much other than admiring the quality since it won't contain any parts that can be put together.  will be the first of many boxes to flood my workbench in the next 6 months to a year.  Once again, thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment