Welcome to my blog, the Gratutitous Gas Gun Geek. I originally started this blog to follow my attempts at building from scratch a WA M4, but it has since evolved into many other projects in the gas airsoft world. Watch me customize some airsoft replicas to look unique. I also do gas airsoft repairs and custom projects as well. Contact me for pricing and options!

Monday, October 1, 2012

Gas M4 Project #3 - The "Parts Bin" WE M4

If you belong to a few forums like I do, you find some incredible deals on parts, guns, and anything else you find.  I have been gathering some things for 'that project' or just whatever gun I feel like building.  Well, I have reached a point where it is a good time to bolt on and pin together an M4.  This gun will be a solid back up gun.  The WE M4 gas system is relatively cheap, and mags are plentiful now.  Purchasing an Open Bolt Kit gets you a good chunk of the internal parts to put together something nice.

So this project is made of parts I purchased for cheaper than usual, that does not mean it is crappy looking.  So far I have the lower receiver built up.  Here are a few pictures to kick it off.


















I had a WE receiver just sitting around that had the trigger guard pin tabs broken off in the back.  I just took a real steel aluminum trigger guard and JB welded it to the receiver.  It is already broken, and the new trigger guard was $5 at a gun show.  I could paint it to match a little better, but it isn't a huge problem in my opinion.

The stock is a real steel Magpul CTR Milspec stock.  It slides across a G&P 6 position buffer tube I got with another stock I bought for the CM901 project.  I am using a real milspec diameter tube for that project, so this spare buffer tube fit well.  It has numbers on the top, but they are covered up by the CTR stock most of the time anyway.  The friction lock is kind of pointless since the stock to tube fit is extremely nice and tight.  I replaced the standard stock ring with a real steel Magpul ASAP (Ambidextrous Sling Attachment Point) sling mount.  It allows a sling to freely switch sides as you change sides with your rifle.  It was a pretty cheap part, and can really enhance your AR platform.  I had to use the commercial tube spec pin in the ASAP to keep the tube from rotating when I tightened it down.  Not a huge deal, but I noticed the threads on the G&P tube were flatter and probably needed the slightly taller pin to fit better.

I have a real Magpul MOE-K pistol grip attached.  The design of the grip is to be even smaller than the standard A2 grip on the AR15/M16, while adjusting the angle so it allows the rifle to feel more comfortable tucked in close (commonly used for short barreled rifles).  The grip has a good feel with and without gloves, and fits right to the WE receiver with a slightly tight fit.

If you noticed in the pictures, I have some really big take down/pivot pins on the lower.  Those are real steel Yankee Hill Machine EZ Pull Pins.  They are designed to be larger for your hand to grab if you swap uppers often.  I used them here since I plan on keeping this as a back up.  I could swap the lower onto any rifle I want to fix an issue in the lower receiver for the day.  Who knows, maybe one day I will just build a proper upper for this as a nice addition to my collection.

The springs and detents for the selector switch and take down/pivot pins are for a real AR15 as well.  I bought them with a little repair kit I got at another gun show, and they fit perfectly in the receiver.  The selector detent needed to be filled down on the lip so it could clear the trigger box space to engage the selector.  Luckily, the WE selector switches are extremely cheap and work well enough.

Other than that, everything else is stock WE-Tech.  Trigger box drops in cleanly, and the buffer and recoil spring work well enough to nice recoil and rate of fire.  I have no complaints with this set up, and it feels good so far.  The most expensive part was probably the stock, as I only got it today and had to pay full price for it.  Probably everything together cost $250 for this set up, which isn't bad for a custom rifle.

This project will go by quickly so keep an eye out for a post about the upper receiver.  Next post will be a review, so keep on the look out for a really sweet rifle!

No comments:

Post a Comment