Welcome to my blog, the Gratutitous Gas Gun Geek. I originally started this blog to follow my attempts at building from scratch a WA M4, but it has since evolved into many other projects in the gas airsoft world. Watch me customize some airsoft replicas to look unique. I also do gas airsoft repairs and custom projects as well. Contact me for pricing and options!

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Work Bench - January 2014

Welcome back reader.  As expected, I have been lying in wait as more parts and pieces come in the mail.  That being said, it does seem like I have a lot on my plate lately.  I seem to pick up projects left and right that I think are cool.  Allow me to continue what I have planned out:

 - Gas Gun Project #4 - GHK GBB Conversion Kit

I have always wondered about this kit.  For $100 plus the cost of mags, you can convert any Version 2 gearbox M4 AEG into a gas blowback rifle.  G&G realized it was a good idea and made an entire line of GBB box AEG guns.  I had to purchase an AEG for this, but even if the GBB kit doesn't work out I can at least put the electric guts back into it and sell it off.  For the price I've paid so far for it, I think it is worthwhile to document my progress with it to see if it is worth it.  I'll be laying it out in a few posts; The introduction, the installation, and the final review.  The review will be taking the most time, as I will need to put the gun through its paces.

- Gas Gun Project #5 - Soviet-Afghan AK74

One thing that has always seemed to puzzle me is why WE-Tech made their AK-47 (technically speaking it is an AKM) a "PMC" variation with rails and M4 stock.  Maybe they thought that everyone just ended up "tacticool"ing the rifle with new hand guards and other parts and decided to just make it a factory choice.

I never really liked the modern AK's.  I can see why people are drawn to them, but they are just not for me.  So, I've decided to add some real AK74 wood to my AK PMC I picked up and give it that 1980's Soviet-Afghan War look.  As far as what kind of compatibility issues I will run into, I have no idea.  Most people who have done wood conversions on the WE AK PMC used AEG or GHK ones.

- Gas Research Project - Finding the Ultimate Grenade Launcher

Grenade launchers in airsoft have always been one of the tougher items to field.  They do have their short comings, I will admit that, but I do believe there could be a viable purpose to fielding a grenade launcher.  All too often people are willing to point out the obvious flaws; increased weight, expensive, limited usage (much like sidearms).  So in my quest of all things gas powered, I am determined to find the winning combination of launcher, grenade, and projectile.  It will be an expensive endeavor, but I have a feeling the final results will be worth it.

I hope to start being able to post some concrete updates rather than these little teasing posts once a month.  I have a feeling next month is going to be a lot of introductions though.  Stay tuned in!

No comments:

Post a Comment